Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cantos I-III

"My master gently ran his open hands
over the little tufts of grass, and I,
who understood the reason for his art,
Presented him my cheeks, still stained and teared..."

This seems like a good attitude to emulate at the beginning of Lent... I want not only to have my face washed, but to anticipate having my face washed and want my face washed and put myself in the right posture to have my face washed. Herbert's line about "a face not fearing light" comes to mind-- both in the sense that Dante's face will be clean in the sunrise and in the sense that he does not hide from Virgil's ministrations.

Jess, the line about liberty caught my eye too. Particularly as we set extra limitations or rules or disciplines on ourselves for a short period: not because we are slaves to these things, but because we are slaves of Christ who is making us free.

A couple of intriguing patterns (not sure I understand what is going on, but I am interested!):

-Virgil keeps having to tell Dante to show reverence (to Cato and to the angel of the ship), or even physically remind him to kneel. Why? Does he get courtesy/proper reverence better than Dante does?

-In Canto III, Virgil mourns that Plato and Aristotle (and Virgil himself) have no hope in Limbo of finding the knowledge they sought while living. A little later, he urges Dante, "And my sweet son, you keep your hope strong now." He also speaks winsomely to the Excommunicate about their hope and expectation of heaven. There is probably more going on here, but Virgil's unselfconscious desire for Dante and the Excommunicate to have what he has not is both tragic and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment